The weakest link? Guardiola: The goalkeeper is Manchester City s shortcomings, and I haven t thought about who to start yet
5:31am, 30 August 2025Football
Guardiola has not yet decided on his main goalkeeper. The Manchester City manager admitted that he has not yet determined who will guard the goal before Sunday's Premier League match against Brighton. Trafford, 22, started the team this season, but in his loss to Tottenham last week, his obvious mistake directly led to a goal conceding, and his performance was tense, which made the team's main position again doubtful.
Traford was able to start continuously because Brazil's goalkeeper Ederson was absent due to illness in the first round against Wolves. At present, Ederson's future is also undecided, and Manchester City frequently have scandals with Paris Saint-Germain's Donnarumma, so the battle for "No. 1 goalkeeper" may not be concluded until the transfer window is closed and the international match day is over.
Guardiola told the media on Friday: "At this stage, everything is possible until the transfer window of all clubs is closed, it's that simple. After that, we have to face Manchester United, the Champions League and Arsenal in a row, and the situation will be clearer by then, and we will make a decision. It depends not only on the goalkeeper, but also on the performance of all players, and there are many factors involved." As a Manchester City youth training production, Trafford returned from Burnley this summer for £27 million (about $36 million). Guardiola believes the young goalkeeper can get out of the shadow of his home debut mistake.
"We will take care of him. Of course he will be nervous - if he is not nervous, I will be unhappy. But we are here to support him, and we will undoubtedly pull him at the trough."
When asked if it has decided to start the goalkeeper against Brighton on Sunday, Guardiola replied: "Let me tell you tomorrow - because I don't have a press conference tomorrow."
Two other first-team goalkeepers, Ederson and Ortega, are both in the last year of their contract, and transfer rumors are constantly being made. Guardiola declined to comment on any potential departure news, although he repeatedly said the team's roster was too bloated.
"We have a long lineup and all players can transfer - maybe," he said on Friday. "Someone leaves, and that's the transfer window. You can only accept it."
In addition, Guardiola expressed support for midfielder Rodri to report to the Spanish national team next week. The Golden Globe winner, who missed most events due to injury last season, encountered another minor setback before the opening of this season and has only played for 15 minutes.
"He felt much better and needed game time. I think the national team communicated with him and decided to recruit him. As long as the players are healthy, I always support them to play for the country."
Related Posts
- European Youth Championship! 4-2, Germany U21 wins 2 consecutive games, 23-year-old Waltermad scores a stunning goal + 2 wonderful passes
- Huang Jianxiang: Paris is not a tactical revolution but a return to nature. Good technology, willing to run away, not selfish
- Big transfer! Riyadh successfully assembled the "Big Four" and aimed at the new season champion!
- Wang Dalei aroused public anger, fans said that Taishan team can t accommodate you, Han Peng is time to establish his authority
- The first player to be cleaned this summer? Barcelona No. 10 agrees to leave the team: Conquer Ligue 1, killing four shots in one shot
- The total price is 73.5 million euros! Arsenal signed a contract with the 27-year-old Swedish god forward for 5 years and has spent 220 million yuan to buy 6 people this summer
- Half-time - Chongqing Tonglianglong 0-2 Henan Ye Lijiang overtakes and assists Cardoso to score a pass from Nasario
- Star Card (Saudi United): Riyadh Victory Football Club 23 players, Ronaldo No. 7
- Official: The opponent was late for arranging the wrong bus pick-up location, and the China League Two Jiangxi Division was criticized